Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Watch Where You Step

On Monday this week we celebrated Dr. Seuss's birthday all day. We had green eggs and ham for breakfast, ate goldfish crackers in the afternoon (while reading One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish), made a Dr. Seuss birthday cake and Cat in the Hat hats, and read lots and lots of Dr. Seuss books. It was wonderful fun.


I also took the opportunity to explain to the kids that we would start having "creative time" every afternoon. (Really, this is just another one of my attempts to have quiet time at our house every afternoon. But I thought naming it "creative time" gave it a more user-friendly spin.) We had read Oh, the Thinks You Can Think and And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, and I talked about the wonderful imagination that Dr. Seuss had. Wonderful imaginations are best nurtured with time alone to think, imagine, pretend, build, create, explore, wonder,experiment, and ponder. I told Jake and Abby to gather supplies and take some time to create and that afterwards we would all talk about what we had done.

Jake went straight for his Nerf gun. "Ahh, yes," he said, "I'll need this to build a booby trap."

I better watch where I step. Who knew creative time could be so dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment