Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Starting Out Young

It was a fairly peaceful evening at our house. All four kids were in the kitchen "helping" me make pizza pockets for dinner. Jake grated cheese. Abby and Grace added toppings. Emma "supervised" from her chair, and from time to time I would ask one of the kids to talk to Emma so she got enough attention.

After a couple minutes I overheard this:

Jake: "Abby, can you talk to Emma? She likes it if you talk to her about John Deere."

I tried not to laugh out loud. Then I looked over to see that one of Jake's John Deere tractors had been placed on top of Emma's blanket.
Jake has apparently arrived at a timeless conclusion at a very young age: train up a child in the way she should go, and when she is old she will not depart from it.

Indoctrinate Emma with a love of John Deere from infancy and make up for the fact that you have three little sisters and nary a brother. I guess I can't blame him.

No comments:

Post a Comment