Thursday, January 17, 2013

Welcome to the Roller Coaster

It was a Saturday, Cameron was going to be in school all day long, and I have learned that if I don't want to go crazy on weeks when Cameron works and studies all week and has class all weekend, I had better find some ways to get myself out of the house. So the kids and I arrived at a local fun center when it first opened that morning, and we were all set to play for a few hours before naptime. I had it all under control.

Fifteen minutes later play was just getting under way when I noticed a suspicious wet spot on the seat of Abby's pants. It seems she got so excited to play that she decided to forego a trip to the bathroom. Whoops. We would have to go home to get her changed and clean. And I didn't want to make another 40-minute round trip back to play after that.

Crash.
File:Vekomaboomerang.jpg
Motherhood is a roller coaster. You think you have your day planned, your child figured out, or life under control. But you learn that planning is only partially helpful, children change what they need from one moment to the next, and life is actually never under control.

     "Life is just like an old time rail journey ... 

       delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, 

interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. 

The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."

Jenkin Lloyd Jones

File:Rollercoaster expedition geforce holiday park germany.jpg
Photos courtesy of wikipedia commons
Yes, it's a roller coaster. No, it's not under control. But I am grateful for the ride. I'll just keep reminding myself till the next time I find the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment