Monday, January 14, 2013

Barbie Dolls, Swim Suits, and Spiky Heels

I am aware that Barbie dolls can be a polarizing issue--some people love them and have large collections, and others think they are evil and won't let their kids play with them. I have sympathy for both extremes, but my feelings on Barbie dolls are fairly moderate. Nevertheless, when Abby got one at a holiday gift exchange, I was less than enthused. I just wished it could have been a Barbie doll with a little more clothing.
Shortly thereafter Abby came to show me her new toy, and the conversation went something like this:

"Mom, look at my new doll."

"Oh, look at that."

"She's wearing a swimsuit."

At this point I was feeling rather stunned and speechless at how neatly Abby had resolved my unspoken concern. Finally I found the words to say, "Wow, Abby, you are so smart. How did you know it was a swimsuit?"

"Because it has these straps," Abby said, fingering the spaghetti straps on the dress.

Oh, of course. Swimsuits have straps, so if it has straps, it is obviously a swimsuit. How simple.

Truthfully, I still don't love the doll, but I don't think of it longingly every time I pass the dumpster, either. I haven't figured out why Barbie is sporting tall, spiky heels on the swim deck. Perhaps I should ask Abby. She probably already knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment