Monday, September 3, 2012

Setting the Record Straight

I recently finished reading Princess Academy by Shannon Hale.
Princess Academy
I thought it presented a nicely developed plot with a satisfying ending. Ms. Hale is obviously a talented writer. But I do have one bone to pick with her. At one point in the novel she introduces a group of bandits and, as it happens, one of the bandits has only one eye.

Have you ever noticed the way one-eyed creatures are popularly portrayed as being rather sinister...mean...evil...fearsome?

Pirates.


Cyclops.


Monsters.
File:Byuanimation cyclops.jpg

Even The Best Christmas Pageant Ever describes the notoriously troublesome Herdman family as owning a one-eyed cat who was "the meaning-looking animal [you] ever saw". They kept a Beware of Cat sign to warn people.

For the record, I only have one eye, but I think I'm a reasonably nice person. Certainly nicer than your average pirate. I would like to read something where a one-eyed person is virtuous and kind.

Perhaps I should start writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment