Monday, December 21, 2015

Wonder

Another beautiful Christmas season is upon us. As always I am filled with the joy of the season. I love pondering the birth of a baby, a pure mother, a faithful stepfather, a bright star, heavenly angels, humble shepherds, and wise men. The beauty of the story overcomes me year after year.
                                     A black and white sketch of Mary and Joseph standing over the baby Jesus on Christmas night.
Perhaps it is because this year I have a two-year-old, and I am once again wanting to help my child (and her older siblings) grasp the truths of a God who loves us so much--a God who condescends, sacrifices, teaches, and loves. The best word I have is wonder.

I wonder at His love. We celebrate it at this season with His birth. He taught it throughout his life by miracles and ultimately giving His life.

I wonder at His life--freely given service, selfless care for others. He condescended to be born in a stable surrounded by animals even though He was the King of Kings. He lived in a world that He made for us, but He did so surrounded by the humble, the sinful, and the downtrodden.

I wonder at His mother, so pure and prepared.

I wonder at Joseph, so faithful, so in tune with God's will.

I wonder at shepherds who ran to see the baby then ran to tell everyone what they had seen.

I wish I could have been there to see it all unfold. I can't. But I can fill my children with the stories, the love, the joy, the peace, the hope, and the wonder of a Savior who loves us so much.
A Nativity figurine of Mary holding the baby Jesus wrapped in white linen, with colorful Christmas lights in the background.
Images courtesy of the LDS media library
                                           
He is wonderful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment