Thursday, October 24, 2013

Of Autumn and Anticipation

I absolutely love fall. I haven't always felt this way. A few years ago I would have said I loved spring. And I still do. But the older I get the more I love fall.

I love swinging with my girls in the backyard and singing songs about falling leaves.

I love the gorgeous fall leaves on the mountains, canyons, and in my own yard.
I love the way the cooler temperatures whisper of good things to come--costume parades, hot cocoa, warm fireplaces, gratitude lists, nativity sets, and oh so many wonderful family traditions. Oooh, just thinking about it makes me giddy. I love fall.

And these days as I spend endless days carrying, rocking, singing to, and talking to our sweet little Emma, I can't help thinking about how having a baby is a little like autumn. I love autumn because of all the good things that I know are just around the corner. The same is true of having a baby. When I hold Emma I wonder what her personality will be. I can't wait to see her start cooing more, sitting up, crawling, laughing, running, and playing with her siblings. I wonder further down the road what her talents will be, what she will become in this world of ours. I look at pictures of our other kids, remember when they were babies, and feel deeply grateful that we welcomed each of them into our family. Through the days and nights, the ups and downs, each child has a place in our home, and I can't wait to see what each will do as life progresses.
I don't really love being cold, but I do love the fall. Pulling out the fuzzy socks and gloves is a small price to pay for the joy of autumn holidays. And much as I appreciate a good night's sleep and a clean, quiet house, caring for a child is a small price to pay for the joy that will come as she grows. It is a privilege to be a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment