Monday, April 29, 2013

Happiness Is...

It was one of those days where I was plotting how to get my house cleaner. How could I involve the kids more? When should we do it? Which tasks are appropriate to which kids? Hmmmm. Muddle muddle muddle. Think think think. Finally I concluded by feeling grateful for a sweet husband who never complains when the house isn't as clean as either of us would like.

Happiness, I decided, is recognizing what you have.

I don't have an immaculately clean house. But I do have a thoughtful, kind husband. And I do have a houseful of cute, lovable kids who I will miss terribly one day when my house is cleaner.

I don't have a masters degree. But I never racked up any accompanying student debt. And I am a stay-at-home mom--the ultimate goal I always dreamed of.

I don't have two eyes. But I do have deeper levels of compassion, understanding, and gratitude than I ever had before my cancer.

I don't have loads of leisure time to pursue personal goals. But I do have a sweet family who wants to be with me whenever they can.
Do you see what I mean? We all have limits, and we all have blessings. We can choose which we focus on. Happiness is recognizing what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment